Structural Engineering and Mechanics
Office: More 233D
Phone: (206) 685-1709
PhD, Princeton University, 2011
MSCE, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2004
BSCE, The Citadel, 2003
After receiving his PhD in Civil Engineering from Princeton University in 2011, Michael Motley held a Posdoctoral Fellow position at the University of Michigan until he joined the University of Washington faculty in the fall of 2012. Michael received his MSCE in 2004 from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and his BSCE in 2003 from The Citadel.
Michael's current research focuses on the development of systems-based, probabilistic design, analysis, and optimization tools to maximize the performance of structures undergoing air-structure and fluid-structure interactions.
- Energy producing and energy-efficient structures
- Probability and reliability-based design methods
- Multidisciplinary integrated design methods
- Fluid-structure interactions
- Blast-resistant structures