Building Access


Monday - Friday: 6:00AM – 7:00PM
Saturday & Sunday: Closed

Building Permit

CEE Engineering students can access the More Hall door at the front stairway with their Husky Card. However, a Building Permit is required to be in the building after hours. Occasionally, campus security may ask to see your Building Permit if you are in the building after hours. If you do not have your Building Permit, you will be asked to leave. If you have not received a Building Permit, please contact the Graduate Adviser, 201 More Hall.

Graduate Student Desk Assignments

Graduate student desks are assigned to students receiving departmental funding in the form of a RA or TA assistantship. ASCE has lockers available for rent on the first floor. Please contact the ASCE president for more information. The ASCE lounge is located on the 3rd floor of More Hall.

Hazardous Waste

The Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) department is in charge of disposing of all hazardous material. Contact Sean Yeung if you have questions.

Batteries - A battery collection bin is located in the second floor hallway of More Hall and the first floor of Wilcox near the elevator. Batteries of all types are also collected for disposal in the basement hallway outside of the Machine Shop (More 037). They are sorted by type in marked cans.

CDs - CD disks and cases can be recycled using the collection bins in the second floor hallway of More Hall and in the first floor of Wilcox near the elevator.

Light Bulbs - Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury. They are not disposed of in the trash. They are collected and requests placed with Physical Plant for collection. Contact Sean Yeung for disposal of Fluorescent bulbs.

Other Hazardous Waste - Under no conditions should chemicals, paints, solvents, cleaners or any other hazardous waste be put down drains or in trash cans. These are collected and disposed of through EH&S. Contact Sean Yeung for disposal of hazardous waste.


Keys to Graduate Student desks can be obtained at the Reception Desk in More Hall between 1:00 – 4:00 PM. A $20 one-time refundable key deposit is required (payment in cash or check). Please turn in your keys when you graduate and leave the department.


State law prohibits having pets in state buildings, with the exception of service animals. Occasional, one time exceptions, may be made for emergencies. Contact the department administrator if you need approval.


The University is working to increase the amount of material recycled and divert hazardous waste from going in the landfill. There are numerous paper recycle collection sites around the building. Do not put paper food containers in the paper collection bags. Cardboard boxes should be flattened and left next to the paper collection location.

Compost - CEE is working with the University to separate and collect compostable waste. This includes food items, coffee grounds, used paper items like pizza boxes, paper coffee cups, paper plates, paper napkins. CEE has a compost collection bin available for use at student events where food is served. Food services at the UW changed to using disposable utensils made from compostable plastics. UW has placed green compost collection bins in food services areas around campus.

Paper - Paper recycling collection bins are located on most floors of CEE buildings. Green “bagits” are located in all CEE buildings for paper collection along with “toters” (wheeled rolling carts). All paper, whether it is white paper, newspaper, paperback books and journals, or mixed paper, goes into the green bagits. Paper can also be placed directly into one of the mixed paper toters, such as when emptying your desk side Personal Recycle Bin or when items are heavy (for journals or paperback books etc.).

Please ensure that the following items are not put into bagits or toters: large metal fasteners, paper clips, rubber bands, 3-ring binders, string, overhead transparencies, shrink wrap, or any other recyclables or trash.

If you have a large amount of paper to recycle, a bulk bin can be delivered to your office. Contact Dana Pierson for a bulk paper recycling bin.

Cardboard – Do not store unused cardboard boxes in any rooms, as this is a fire hazard. Cardboard boxes need to be emptied of contents, flattened, and left next to the paper collection bins for pickup by the custodial staff. Larger amounts of flattened cardboard boxes can go directly in the cardboard recycling bin located outside of Wilcox.

Cans/Bottles - There are glass, metal, and plastic bottle recycle bins located with the paper recycling bins. Containers used for chemical or hazardous material storage are not allowed in recycling bins.

Plastic - Clean plastic film and bubble wrap used in shipping are recycled. There are several plastic film/bubble wrap collection sites in More Hall and Wilcox. The plastic film pickup bin is located in the parking lot next to Wilcox Hall. This plastic recycling does not include shaped Styrofoam blocks. Those go in the trash at this time. Plastic peanuts used in shipping and packaging are also recycled.

Wood - Scrap wood is collected a wood bin in back of More Hall. Clean, unwanted shipping pallets are stacked for recycling in the paved area between More Hall and Roberts Hall.

Metal - Scrap metal is placed in a steel collection bin behind More Hall.

Concrete - Scrap concrete from teaching and research work is collected in a metal dumpster in back of More Hall. This bin is only for concrete and brick waste, not garbage or recycling. The concrete disposal company will not pick up the bin if there is trash in it.


The City of Seattle banned smoking within 50 feet of building doors and windows. The University adopted a complete smoking ban on campus for all buildings and outside areas, however, there are a few designated outside smoking locations.

Find a designated smoking location.