BSCE General Education Courses
Students typically complete their program prerequisites and general education requirements (roughly 90 credits) during their freshmen and sophomore years.
Transfer and non-Direct to College (DTC) students: Application requirements are designated below with astericks (*) below. For list of application and enrollment requirements, see College of Engineering Prerequistie by Major for Transfer and Non-DTC Student page.
Mathematics (24 credits)
- MATH 124 Calc/Analytic Geom I (5 credits)*
- MATH 125 Calc/Analytic Geom II (5 credits)*
- MATH 126 Calc/Analytic Geom III (5 credits)*
- MATH 307 Differential Equations (3 credits)
- MATH 308 Matrix Algebra (3 credits)*
- IND E 315 Probability and Statistics for Engineers (3 credits), or STAT 390
Sciences (35 credits)
- CHEM 142 General Chemistry (5 credits)*
- CHEM 152 General Chemistry (5 credits)*
- PHYS 121 Mechanics (5 credits)*
- PHYS 122 Electromagnetism (5 credits)
- PHYS 123 Waves (5 credits)
Engineering Fundamentals (16 credits)
- AMATH 301 Beg Scientific Computing (4 credits), strongly recommended, or CSE 142 Computer Programming I (4 credits)*
- AA 210 Statics (4 credits)*
- CEE 220 Mechanics of Materials (4 credits)*
- ME 230 Dynamics & Kinematics (4 credits)*
Written Communication (12 credits)
- English Composition (5 credits)*
- ENGR 231: Intro to Technical Writing (3 credits)
- Additional Composition or Writing (4 credits)
- IND E 250 (4 credits), or ECON 200 (5 credits)
Note: ECON 200 also counts as Individuals & Societies.
VLPA & I&S (24 credits)
- Visual, literary and performing arts (VLPA) (10 credits)
- Individuals & Societies (I&S) (10 credits)
- Additional VLPA and/or I&S (4 credits)
Diversity (3-5 credits)
- One course to satisfy UW’s diversity requirement. Find courses using the General Education Requirement Course Search Tool. Diversity credits may concurrently satisfy VLPA, I&S, or major requirements.