BSCE General Education Courses
Courses highlighted below with an asterisk (*) are prerequisites, which students will already have completed upon acceptance into the program. Students complete roughly 90 credits of general education courses, depending on course options selected.
Mathematics (24 credits)
- MATH 124 Calc/Analytic Geom I (5 credits)*
- MATH 125 Calc/Analytic Geom II (5 credits)*
- MATH 126 Calc/Analytic Geom III (5 credits)*
- MATH 307 Differential Equations (3 credits)
- MATH 308 or 318 Matrix Algebra (3 credits)*
- IND E 315 Probability and Statistics for Engineers (3 credits), preferred, or STAT 390 (4 credits)
Note: Students who take IND E 315 as an Engineering Fundamental may apply any non-statistics, non-teaching 300-level MATH course toward the mathematics requirement of the BSCE degree. Important: IND E 315 may not be used to satisfy both Mathematics and Engineering Fundamentals requirements.
Sciences (25 credits)
- CHEM 142 General Chemistry (5 credits)*
- CHEM 152 General Chemistry (5 credits)
- PHYS 121 Mechanics (5 credits)*
- PHYS 122 Electromagnetism (5 credits)*
- PHYS 123 Waves (5 credits)
Engineering Fundamentals (20 credits)
- AMATH 301 Beg Scientific Computing (4 credits), strongly recommended, or CSE 142 Computer Programming I (4 credits)*
- AA 210 Statics (4 credits)*
- CEE 220 Mechanics of Materials (4 credits)*
- ME 230 Kinematics & Dynamics (4 credits)*
- One course from: ME 123, MSE 170, EE 215, IND E 250, AA 260, IND E 280 or IND E 315.
Note: Students who take IND E 315 may apply any non-statistics, 300-level MATH course, except MATH 354 and 355 toward the mathematics requirement.
Written Communication (12 credits)
- English Composition (5 credits)*
- ENGR 231: Intro to Technical Writing (3 credits)
- Additional Composition or Writing (4 credits)
- ECON 200 or 201 (5 credits) or IND E 250 (4 credits)
Note: ECON 200 also counts as Individuals & Societies, under VLPA Requirements; IND E 250 also counts as Engineering Fundamentals.
VLPA & I&S (24 credits)
- Visual, literary and performing arts (VLPA) courses are designated in the quarterly time schedule and the UW course catalog (10 credits)
- Individuals & Societies (I&S) courses are designated in the quarterly time schedule and the UW course catalog (10 credits)
- Additional VLPA and/or I&S (4 credits)
Diversity (3-5 credits)
- One course to satisfy UW’s diversity requirement. Find courses using the General Education Requirement Course Search Tool.