Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
2023-2027 Strategic Plan
Grand Challenges, which leverage faculty interests and strengths to meet society's future needs, are integrated in department degree programs, prioritized in cross-disciplinary research, and highlighted in advancement activities.
- Work with UW Advancement to design messaging that leverages Grand Challenges, identify target sponsors and donors, and start a campaign to fund seed grant proposals and funds to incorporate Grand Challenges into curricula.
- Identify opportunities to ground curricula in Grand Challenges, including existing applicable coursework and gaps in curricula that should be addressed.
- Identify ways to use the Grand Challenges in student recruitment.
- Coordinate with Professional and Continuing Education and others for market research on viability of various thematic certificates/programs.
- Review of submitted Grand Challenge proposals to evaluate areas of success/weakness and identify strategies for the future.
Increased involvement in large-scale proposals and awards; win or act as a major partner in three or more $10 million+ awards.
- Build community in areas related to Grand Challenges and establish key external partnerships and projects.
- Include stakeholder community in existing work and on smaller proposals.
- Identify faculty training needs to support writing large proposals.
- Identify and commit departmental and university financial and other support for larger proposal development.