Stephen T. Muench
Steve Muench has been at the UW on-and-off since 1986 and has been a faculty member since 2004. Since 2011, Steve has been the holder of the Tom and Marilyn Draeger | The Beavers Charitable Trust professorship. Prior to the UW, Steve worked for a local consultant company, Perteet, Inc., as a transportation design engineer. Before that, Steve was a nuclear submarine officer in the US Navy - serving 3 years on USS WILLIAM H. BATES (SSN 680) out of Pearl Harbor, HI and another 2 years teaching submarine tactics at the Naval Submarine Training Center Pacific. Steve enjoys working with outstanding students and great colleagues and tackling interesting problems; all of which hopefully leads to making a difference and leaving the world a little bit better off.
Steve has research interests in the transportation infrastructure realm with special emphasis on sustainability. Current sustainability efforts include Greenroads, a sustainability rating system for roadway design and construction. Other interests include heavy civil construction, pavements and online training.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, University of Washington, 2004
- MSCE, University of Washington, 1998
- BSCE, University of Washington, 1990
- Assistant Professor, UW CEE 2004-2010
- Design Engineer, Perteet, Inc., Everett, WA 1999-2000
- Nuclear Submarine Office, United States Navy, 1990-1997