Tom and Marilyn Draeger / The Beavers Charitable Trust Assistant Teaching Professor
Civil & Environmental Engineering
Director of Materials Lab
- (206) 543-3040
- MOR 121E
- Construction Materials Lab
Dr. Julian Yamaura is a full-time Assistant Teaching Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Washington. He teaches courses related to construction materials, design and construction of temporary structures, and infrastructure construction means and methods. Prior to the UW, Julian has worked for Pavia Systems, Inc., as an engineering consultant assisting with the development and deployment of a construction project inspection technology for public organizations and construction engineering and inspection firms across the country. He has also worked for Atkinson Construction as a construction engineer working on large transportation infrastructure projects in Washington.
Julian’s research focuses on mobile technology systems in construction and their impacts on project management. Other interests include heavy civil construction and pavements.
Outside of work, Julian enjoys spending time with his wife and three kids, playing guitar, and surfing the frigid waters of the pacific northwest.
- Ph.D in Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Washington, December 2018
- M.S. in Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Washington,, December 2010
- B.S. in Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Washington, June 2009
- Construction Engineer, Atkinson Construction, 2011-2014
- Engineering Consultant, Pavia Systems, Inc., 2014-2019
Honors & awards
- UW College of Engineering Student Teaching Award, 2017, University of Washington
Annual CEE Department award winners
At the end of spring quarter, several CEE faculty and students were honored with department awards, which are usually...
Engineering an engaging online experience
This spring, instructor Julian Yamaura was presented with a new type of engineering challenge — moving hands-on labs...
How to move ‘hands on’ classes online
UW instructors offer creative solutions for courses that involve hands-on work.