Steven L. Kramer
Civil & Environmental Engineering
- (206) 685-2642
- MOR 132E
Steve Kramer received his BS, M.Eng., and PhD degrees from the University of California, Berkeley in 1977, 1979, and 1985, respectively. Kramer joined the geotechnical group in the University of Washington Department of Civil Engineering in 1984. He has taught a wide range of undergraduate and graduate courses in geotechnical engineering, and advised numerous graduate students on Masters and Ph.D. research projects. His primary research interests include soil liquefaction, site response analysis, seismic slope stability, and hazard analysis. Much of his current research work is in the area of performance-based earthquake engineering, specifically the integration of probabilistic response analyses with probabilistic seismic hazard analyses.
Kramer is the author of the book Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and of numerous technical papers and reports. He has been the recipient of the Presidential Young Investigator Award from the National Science Foundation, the Arthur Casagrande Professional Development Award from ASCE, a Walter Huber Research Prize from ASCE, and the 2009 Norman Medal from ASCE. Kramer was a Senior Research Scientist in the International Centre for Geohazards at the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI) in 2003, and is also a member of the faculty of the European School for Advanced Studies in the Reduction of Seismic Risk (the ROSE School) at the University of Pavia in Italy.
- Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1985
- M.Eng. in Geotechnical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1979
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1977
Honors & awards
- Chi Epsilon Civil Engineering Honor Society, 1976
- Honor Students Society, University of California at Berkeley, 1976
- Research Initiation Award, National Science Foundation, 1985
- Presidential Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation, 1988
- Arthur Casagrande Professional Development Award, ASCE, 1991
- Walter Huber Research Prize, ASCE, 1996
- John R. Kiely Professorship, University of Washington, 1997
- Norman Medal, ASCE, 2009
- Puget Sound Academic Engineer of the Year, Puget Sound Engineering Council, 2012
Kramer's second Norman Medal
Professor Steve Kramer has been honored with a second Norman Medal. In the history of the award, which dates back to...
ASCE H. Bolton Seed Medal
In early March, professor Steve Kramer was presented with the 2018 H. Bolton Seed Medal by the American Society of Civil...