Grant administration and support
To assist researchers with managing research programs at the UW, the following resources are available:
UW support offices
Depending on the type of research and funding needs, support services are available to researchers to assist with various aspects of the grant process:
- Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP): Supports the research community in securing external support for sponsored projects and collaborations. OSP is the primary office with delegated authority to sign proposals on behalf of UW.
- Human Subjects Division (HSD): Supports and facilitates review by the Institutional Review Board, required before starting research involving human subjects.
- Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S): Assists organizational units in meeting their responsibility to protect the environment and to provide a safe and healthful place for employment and learning.
- Grant and Contract Accounting (GCA): Supports departments with post-award management such as budget setup, rebudgeting, invoicing and financial reporting.
- Post Award Fiscal Compliance (PAFC): Assists departments with understanding and fulfilling the requirements of the complex world of grant and contract fiscal compliance regulations.
- Management Accounting and Analysis (MAA): Supports departments with complex accounting and analysis process for post-award management.
- CoMotion: Partners with researchers to bring innovation and ideas to market through technology transfer, patents and market analysis.
- Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR): Works with corporate and foundation partners, as well as university faculty and staff, to foster meaningful engagement with companies and foundations and to advance the University’s education, research and service mission.
- Global Affairs: Connects diverse networks of scholars, students and community leaders engaging in international issues and scholarship.
- Collaborative for Research Education (CORE): Provides training and learning opportunities for research administration at the UW.
- Office of Research Misconduct Proceedings: Coordinates the University’s handling of allegations of research misconduct against members of the university community, in consultation and cooperation with the university’s schools, colleges and campuses.
Grant administration systems
To manage the grant process, UW and research sponsors offer the following software systems:
- System to Administer Grants Electronically (SAGE): UW’s electronic research administration system, primarily used to manage pre-award and proposal approval and submission.
- Zipline: Researchers use Zipline to apply to the Human Subjects Division (HSD) for review of research that includes human subjects.
- MyResearch: MyResearch provides a personalized, cross-cutting view of various research-related activities.
- GrantTracker: GrantTracker provides post-award grant and contract information to UW researchers and staff.
- MyFinancial desktop (MyFD): Provides a convenient means for monitoring budget balances and reconciling transactions.
Depending on the agency sponsoring research, the following resources are also available:
- Required Training: The required training site has a searchable catalog of required training when working with animals, human subjects, clinical trials, HIPPA, controlled substances and specific sponsors.
- Faculty Grants Management workshop: Principal investigators must participate in the Faculty Grants Management workshop when they have active grants that are funded by an external sponsor. The workshop provides guidance on managing compliance aspects of grants throughout the lifecycle.